Translate

Monday, June 9, 2014

Una Cerveza, Un Perro, y La Clínica


            Hey everyone! I know it’s been a while since I’ve written any updates, but I’ve been really busy. A lot has happened this past week, so I’ll probably end up writing all of this out in parts. Week three I was definitely feeling a little homesick, but now I’m at a point where I want to come back here someday to volunteer some more. Or maybe next time I’ll go to a different country, like Haiti, or maybe the Honduras, or Columbia. Who knows. All I know is I want to come back to the Caribbean, or Central America, or South America, and give back even more. I’ve been toying around with the idea of joining the peace corps after I’m done with school (which feels like a million years away), or maybe doing more medical mission trips through school, or signing up for our school’s alternative break program (where I’d spend part of my fall/winter/spring breaks doing volunteer work). Wherever I end up, I want to keep volunteering, and I want to travel abroad again.
            I’ve also decided that I want to keep taking Spanish classes. My Spanish has been getting better and better. Remember that time I told you about when I had a complete conversation with a Pastor, and I was super proud of myself? That was basically my entire weekend while I was at this resort (which I will tell you more about later). I understood almost everything, and was able to say what I needed to. My conversations with people are starting to become less say-only-what-is-essential-to-get-what-I-need and are starting to resemble actual conversations like what I would have in the US. People here are always so surprised when I speak Spanish to them, because here very few foreigners do. They also seem so genuinely excited that I’m there to study their language and culture. The concho driver I talked to this morning seemed so grateful that I was studying in his country. He was so proud, and told me how excited he was, because he wanted to see different cultures mix together more. One of the cab drivers I talked to over the weekend was so pleased to hear that I was enjoying his country. The pharmaceutical rep that came to see the doctors this morning thought it was so cool that we were volunteers from the US. Then we had a lengthy discussion about all of our favorite Dominican foods.    Seeing how appreciative everyone is that I’m attempting to learn Spanish and seeing home important and useful it has been on this trip makes me want to keep practicing and learning, because I don’t want to loose my ability to speak the language. Ever. I think when I get back to the States, I’m going to take a few more Spanish classes. I eventually want to get far enough to take the medical Spanish class, because this would be such an amazing skill to have, and it would allow me to connect with even more patients. I think knowing Spanish would help me be a better doctor someday. But I still have so much to learn. I know that there is a group at UF that meets on Thursdays to practice Spanish. I need to make the time to go to that.
            In other news, I started my medical terminology class this week! I know that sounds super boring and all, but I’m super excited for it. Speaking Medicine is it’s own language, just like speaking Spanish is. When I volunteer at Shands, or watch “Medical” dramas on TV like Grey’s Anatomy, half of the words are in a completely different language, so I can’t understand as much as I would like. Now that I’m taking the class, I’ll learn how to decode all of the words. I loooove the way medical terms are written, because it’s very exact and logical. All of the words are made of prefixes, suffixes, and roots. So if you learn all of the pieces, you could take a work that you’ve never seen before, break it into pieces, and figure out it’s meaning. I’ve just started, and already it’s helped me out so much in clinics. For example, today one of our patients brought in these brightly colored, 3-D images of their kidneys and urinary system. The doctor told us it was an angiogram, and I was able to figure out that the literal meaning was “image of vessels”. It was a very exciting moment for me (Yes, I know I’m a nerd. Don’t judge!).
            This past week in clinics has been soooo interesting. I was kind of bummed about clinics during the third week because nothing too exciting seemed to be happening. It became kind of monotonous. We’d come in, sit, and listen to the doctor’s talk to their patients for three hours straight. If we were lucky, we’d have one or maybe two cool things happen (like the pap-smear and cell phone story I told you early). But in general, it seemed like it was a lot of sitting on our butts doing nothing while our friends who were working in the schools came back with all these amazing stories about how gratifying their work was. I can now say that after this week, the clinics have been just as gratifying.
            Last Tuesday was absolutely incredible. The day started out pretty typical. One of the patients came in with her husband for a check up to make sure her pregnancy was healthy. The doctor did the usual exam, and checked for the fetal heartbeat. Once she heard it, she turned to Jane and I and said, “Do you want to listen?” Before we could respond, the dad jumps up and said, “Yes!” The doctor gave him the ear buds, and when he heard the heartbeat, his expression was priceless. He gave his wife the most loving look, and you could tell how excited he was to be a dad. It was adorable. The doctor let us listen too, and afterwards the dad insisted that the mom listened too. She seemed a little more nervous about listening to the heartbeat. She was afraid that she wouldn’t hear it, or something would be wrong. But we finally convinced her to listen. As soon as she heard it, her face lit up, and she had a big, radiant smile on her face. It was such a simple moment, but it was incredible watching the parents-to-be hear their baby’s heart.
            After that, a new mom came in. Her brand new son was 8 days old. She had a c-section, so we got to watch the doctor’s take out the stitches. She just threw on some gloves, grabbed some scissors, and pulled them right out. After the mom’s checkup was done, the doctor examined the baby. He had a skin tag by his ear that the doctor wanted to get rid of. So the doctor grabbed the same type of thread that they used for the mom’s stitches, held the babies head down, and tied the string tight around the base of the skin tag. Then she gave the baby back to the mom and told her that eventually the skin tag would die and fall off. It was an action-packed day, to say the least.
            Thursday we went out to the community again, except this time it was to correct all of the charts that were wrong. The charting system here seems super inefficient. They’re organized by where you live (sort of). There are these filing cabinets full of charts. They’re arranged by the street you live on. Then you have to sift through and find the right house number, because they’re not in numerical order. There also may be more than one house number, or there might be an upper or lower house of the same number, or a front and a back of the same house. Once you find the right house number, every one in the same household is on that chart. So instead of having an individual chart, you have a family chart. Every once in a while, they need to go through and update the charts. So that’s what we did on Thursday.
            We went out to the community with a stack of charts that needed to be verified or updated, divvied them up, and started looking for the houses. The only problem is that the neighborhoods aren’t very organized, so even navigating from hose #54A to #56 is a serious challenge. The houses are all squished together, and there are literally some on top of others (it’s not like apartments, where it’s one building with several floors. Some houses have flat roofs, and so people will just build another house on top of it). The first house we visited was one of those upper houses. We climbed up this concrete staircase that was built under part of the ceiling/floor and had a tiny hole cut out towards the top of the stairs. We had to crouch down while we were climbing, because at the top part there was less than three feet of space between the ceiling/floor and the steps. Once we ducked through the hole, there was a wooden plank that we had to put over the hole to walk from the top of the staircase to the “deck” of the house. The deck was maybe three feet deep, made of cheap sheets of wood, had nails sticking out of it, and had no railing or guard to keep you from falling. We talked to that family, fixed their chart, and headed on to the next house. Another house we saw was basically a concrete shell that was probably 200 square feet that housed around 15 people. It was definitely an experience visiting the homes of the patients we’ve been seeing in the clinics.
            The clinics were interesting today too, because we saw something happen that would NEVER happen in the US. One of the patients had some bottles of beer with them, so they gave it to the doctors and nurses as a gift. The doctor opened two or so of the bottles, gave one to the nurse to drink, and then started drinking one herself. She even offered some to Jane and I (We said thanks, but no thanks, of course). So the doctor was just openly drinking her beer, and examining patients. There was also a stray dog that happened to be wondering around the waiting room and the consultation room. People kind of just kicked him a little when he got in their way, but didn’t really react otherwise. It was definitely an experience.

            I still have more to tell you about the excursions and trips I went on this weekend, but I am blogged out for now. And I have a Skype date with my little sister. So I’ll write more soon(ish). Bye for now!

Jane and I with one of our favorite patients!

Making friends with this little guy in the clinics!

No comments:

Post a Comment