Translate

Monday, June 16, 2014

Los Perros en La Calle

            It’s almost midnight, and I have to get up early tomorrow for clinics, and I should probably still be cramming for my Spanish final tomorrow. But I HAVE to blog right now, because if I don’t I’ll probably going to go insane. When I signed up for this trip to the DR, I knew that it’d see a lot of people living in extremely bad conditions. But I never thought that I’d see so many animals living in such horrible conditions. I feel nauseous just thinking about all of this. If you'd rather not read about the very sobering animal neglect/cruelty here, stop reading now. Seriously. I won't be offended.           
            I don’t know why this is bothering me so much. I love animals and all, but I’m not an animal-rights-activist by any means. I eat meat, even though I know the animals are treated cruelly. I support testing new medications on animals, as long as it’s as humane as possible. But I literally can’t focus on anything else other than the dogs. Maybe it’s because of the constant barking. Or maybe it’s because of the fact that I have seen so much suffering by these animals, and then seen people not care/make it worse, and on top of that, being told there is nothing I can do to help.
            There are stray dogs everywhere. I’ve gotten used to seeing them just walking around. But within the past week or so, I’ve seen way too many puppies. While I was walking to a café the other day, a little golden retriever/mutt started following my friend and I. He wove between our feet, and looked up longingly at us. Most of the puppies here are born with a sense of hopelessness, and with absolute despair in their eyes. If you coo at them, they sink into a corner, and try to make themselves smaller. But this puppy had a smaller glimmer of hope in his eyes. And I know that sounds super lame and all, but I felt like if I could get this puppy to a vet to get vaccinated, and then washed him up, I could have taken him home and he would have grown up to be a loyal dog.
            I saw another one of these rare, hopeful puppies at the beach this past weekend. My friends and I went to sit down in our chairs, and a puppy crawled out from the shade beneath one of our chairs. He hung out near us for a while, but spent most of the time hiding in the shade. There was one point when he playfully pounced on my toes, but other than that brief moment, he tried to stay out of our way.
            Today in the clinics, we passed by a tiny, black puppy that looked like it had just recently opened it’s eyes. He had what was left of some caution tape tied around his neck. I felt so bad for this little guy, so as I entered the clinic, I whistled at him, and he (very cautiously) followed me in. I figured he would weave between my feet, or pounce on my toes like the last two, but when I turned around, I saw him collapsed in the middle of the cool tile floor right at the entrance. I went to put my white coat down really fast, but when I returned, the puppy with the caution tape was gone.
            I like to think that somebody just shooed him out, but I know that in reality, it was probably a lot harsher than that. Someone probably kicked him out, literally. He probably scampered off to find shelter somewhere. Given his age and the fact that he’s got that caution tape choking him, he probably won’t live much longer.
            But the thing is, here no one cares. It’s just another pest to them. Like I said, people would probably kick him, if he got in their way. It took so much strength to not pick any of these dogs up, but I know that doing so would be dangerous. They don’t trust people, and it’s likely they would freak out, or try to attack. They are also full of diseases, and there are many cases of rabies that go around here.
            There has been a new gang of strays that has been hanging out in the street in front of our apartments. There are 4 males, and 1 female. For the past three days now, I’ve seen a major fight at least once a day. The four dogs tackle each other, scratch each other’s faces up, and bite at each other’s throats. It’s so violent. Usually three end up whimpering away, while the other goes and claims the female as his prize. She’s usually found hiding under some car, trying to avoid all of the males. After that, they all come back together, and continue wandering the streets together. There’s always so much tension, and they’re always growling and snarling and barking at each other until the next fight happens. Just now I saw one of the dogs laying in the shade of a car. I did a double take once I registered that something was off. The dog’s front left leg was bend almost ninety degrees right in the middle. It’s leg was completely broken.
            Usually I wouldn’t feel this bad. I mean, it’s just a dog, and I’m sure that there are people here who are suffering more than that dog is. But the thing is, if a person had a broken arm, everyone would care. At the sound of a car accident, everyone drops what they are doing to go help. If anyone is sick or injured, the family will stop at nothing to get them the care they need. Almost no one is homeless, because no matter how poor the families are, they give each other shelter when they have no where else to go. The families here are always advocating for each other, and always taking care of each other. But it’s the exact opposite for the stray dogs. No one cares. No one is going to take care of the broken arm. The dog is probably going to limb around until he dies. He’ll probably end up rotting on a curb somewhere.

            I’ve always appreciated the work of the Humane Society, ASPCA, PETA, and even animal control. But I’ve never realized how big of an impact they have on my daily life. We are so lucky to live in a society where we don’t witness cruelty, dogfights, strays, and animal suffering and death on a daily basis. I can’t wait to go home and pet my cats, and my brother’s dog, and my uncle’s dog the way I wish I could with all of the dogs here.  It’s going to be rough trying to get any sleep tonight…

No comments:

Post a Comment