Translate

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Fábrica de Cigarros, Las Hermanas Mirabal, y Casa Marina Reef


         This past weekend I experienced my favorite part of my trip, as well as my least favorite. My least favorite part was on this Friday. We had a three-part excursion with our group that day. Since one of the DR’s main exports is cigars, we visited the largest cigar factory in the country. Now for those of you who don’t know me all that well, I HATE the smell of smoke. It’s more than simply not liking the smell; cigarette/cigar smoke makes me feel physically sick. So in hindsight, I should have just skipped the factory all together and stayed on the bus. But I figured it wouldn’t be THAT bad, because they’d just be making the cigars, and not smoking them. So how bad could the smell really be? Also, I had promised one of my best guy friends from home, Gabe, that I’d buy him some as a souvenir. So I decided to suck it up and go.
            I lasted all of 10 minutes in the factory. It wasn’t too bad at first. It was interesting watching the workers make the cigars, and the smell was present, but not overwhelming. Then some of the workers light up, and start smoking while they worked. I was scrunched up against the back wall, hating life. I felt dizzy, light headed, nauseous, I couldn’t breathe, I had a massive headache, and my eyes were tearing up. I literally ran out maybe a minute or two after they had started smoking. I ended up hanging out on the bus instead of going on the rest of the tour. Two other girls came out shortly after, once they saw that leaving was an option. I sent some money to my friend who was still on the tour to buy Gabe his stupid cigars, and relaxed and talked to my fellow anti-cigar friends.
            I started to feel better later, because the rest of our trip involved the outdoors. Thank God for fresh air. The second stop was a museum for the Mirabal sisters, who were four extremely important women in Dominican history. The short version of their story is that there used to be a horrible dictator in the 40’s – 50’s. He would kill any one who opposed him, and then control the media to keep the public unaware of what was happening. One of the sisters joined a resistance group, and then later two of her sisters followed. They distributed pamphlets to educate the public about what was happening, and started stocking up weapons for an eventual revolution towards a democracy. They started to become nationally known, and people started to nickname them the butterflies.. But one day while the three sisters were heading home, they were stopped by Trujillo’s forces, and violently murdered. Their death was the beginning of the revolution, and Trujillo was assassinated the following year.
            The museum we visited was eerily beautiful and serene. It was the house that they had lived in right before they had been killed. The rooms had been preserved, and the dinning room table was still set for the dinner the never came home to. Outside where their farmland had been was now a beautiful garden, full of butterflies. I ended up buying a bunch of these little butterfly-shaped key chains (that had the Mirabal sisters commemorative coin in the center) for all of my family. After that, we went on an hour and a half long high through the cacao forest. I absolutely loved being in nature and the fresh air. I also got to see where chocolate comes from. It was definitely more enjoyable than seeing where cigars came from.
            I spent Saturday and Sunday in Sosua with a bunch of my friends. We stayed at this gorgeous resort called Casa Marina Reef Resort. We all ate tons of food, hung out by the pool, and went to the beach the first day. It was a lot of fun just relaxing, and enjoying each other’s company. It felt like I was on vacation, rather than on a study abroad. Sunday was even better than Saturday. We bargained with one of the workers at the resort, and were able to convince them to take us out snorkeling by the coral reefs for only $25 a person. Snorkeling was the one thing that I really wanted to do while we were down here, so I was super excited. We grabbed 3 or 4 loafs of bread from lunch, got all of our gear together, and took a boat out to a reef named Three Rocks.
            The water was crystal clear, and the reefs were gorgeous. There were so many tropical and colorful fish swimming around the reefs. Then we started throwing bread in the water, and all of the fish swam out of the reefs, and up to the surfaces. We were literally swimming in a school of fish. They would brush my legs or arms, or if I was subtle enough I could reach out and touch them. I was giddy the whole time. I’ve snorkeled before, but the fish were always so far below me. At Sosua, they were right next to me. My ears hurt afterwards from diving down into the water so much, but it was so worth it. If I could, I would have stayed for a week or so. But I had service Monday morning, and class Monday afternoon, so I had to head back to Santiago.

            Over the weekend, I had kind of forgotten that there was a “study” part to my study abroad. Oh well. Back to reality…
Hiking through the Cacao Forest!
Playing in the river
Gator Chomping at Playa Sosua




No comments:

Post a Comment