Translate

Friday, May 23, 2014

Carnaval Dominicano

Hola Amigos! I have SO much to tell you about this past week, so I hope you’re ready. On Wednesday, a few of my friends decided to go out and get piercings! They had been debating getting their belly buttons pierced, but since it was only 200 pesos ($4) or so, they decided to go for it. In the US, it’d probably cost around $60, so for only $4, they figured that if they didn’t like it, they could take it out. And it’s surprisingly safe to get them here, as long as you go to the right place. Nathania recommended this accessory store called Inca’s, because she had gone there before to get her cartilage pierced. She said it was all really sanitary, and it had actually healed faster than the one she got in the States.
            So three of my friends and I went out to Inca’s. One friend got her cartilage pierced, another got her belly button pierced, and the other got her belly button and some other part weird of her ear pierced. I thought about getting one, but there wasn’t really one in particular that I wanted. I have two piercings now on each earlobe, and I don’t really wear them too often, so I figured I probably would wear any other ones either. So I basically showed up to hold my friends hands, offer moral support, and to take videos. They said that the piercings weren’t quite as painful as they thought they’d be, but they looked pretty painful to me. The videos we have are pretty hilarious.
            After that adventure, we went out to ladies night again. We ran into another ISA group that was from Grand Valley State University in Michigan. I talked to one of the students from GVSU, and found out that they are all here to study Kinesthesiology with PUCMM’s baseball team, and to take a Latin History class. Their program is completely in English, and they only know a few words of Spanish. I cannot imagine how stressful it would be to study abroad with out knowing any of the language of the country! It’s been hard enough for me to navigate around the city, and order food, and talk to my host family, and I’ve been studying Spanish for over 4 years. One guy was even saying that they don’t really communicate with their host family at all. The family doesn’t know English, and they don’t know Spanish, so they basically gesture and point at things. Props to them, because I would not be able to go 6 weeks this country without Spanish.
            Thursday morning I decided to go back to the clinics for an extra day. Apparently, Thursdays are the best days to go to clinics, so I’m probably going to go every week. I got to clinics around 10am, and around 10:15 or so, all of the medical students started to arrive in their lab coats. Med school here is different than in the States. For me to get an MD in America, I have my 4 years of undergraduate school, and then I have 4 years of medical school. For the students here, they have 1 year of pre-med requisites, and then 5 years of medical school. So by the standards here, I’m technically a med student. It was super confusing before I figured this out, because my conversations with the students would go like this: “Oh, so you’re in the clinics, you must be a medical student!” “No, not yet. I’m pre-med.” “So it’s your first year in school?” “No, I’m in my second year.” “So you’re a medical student?” And we would just go around in circles like this, until I figured out how different their system was.
            Anyways, once the med students got there, we started walking towards this really poor neighborhood. The students have been working with around 20 or so families who have depression. Most of them don’t even know that they have a problem, and don’t know anything about depression. The medical students were promoting a support group/ club called “Smile With Me”. The club had discussion groups where they could go and talk about their problems and struggles, and receive support from the other members, who understand what they are going through. The discussions are also moderated by one of the medical students, who helps to show people different ways to manage their depression. In addition to the discussion groups, there was also a calendar of events with fun things like game nights, and cooking classes so that the patients could go out and have fun and get to know the other patients. 
            I was in complete awe of the neighborhood we were in. It is one of the poorest neighborhoods in all of Santiago. The houses were basically one-room concrete shells, with the basic necessities inside. Some even had walls made out of curtains.  Kids were wandering all over the streets, and one house even had a baby sitting unattended on the front steps, chilling and drinking out of a bottle. I honestly wish I could have taken a picture, but I felt like taking out my iPhone would almost mock the residents. I actually found the neighborhood to be kind of beautiful in a way, because even though everyone had so little, it was still such a vibrant community.
            The med students all split up to go on house visits. When my med student and I got to our first house, the family welcomed us in with (literally) open arms, kissed us on the cheek, and told us to sit in the few chairs they had in the house. The doctor told the patient about the club, and how it was for people who often feel sad, or feel like they have a lot of troubles. She explained that these types of feelings can be a problem, and how the club would help her deal with her feelings. I thought the most interesting part was that the family was invited to take part in the club and all of its activities too. In the Dominican culture, family is very important, and very tightknit. By including the family in the treatment process, the patient is more likely to get better, because they have their family there to help support them through difficult times. I was very impressed with the program, and it reminded me a lot of my health disparities class that I took in the spring.
            Being here has really shown me all of the different aspects that affect people’s health. It’s all very connected. Those who can read are stuck with jobs like street vending, that don’t make a lot of money. People get sucked into the cycle of poverty, and there is no easy way to get out. Getting an education is nearly impossible. The public schools get very little funding, so they’re not very good. The teachers themselves aren’t very well educated, and there is no structure at all to the schools. For a good education, you have to go to private school, which is extremely expensive. If you don’t have birth certificate, you can’t go to school. Most of the kids who were born in poverty don’t have a birth certificate, so there is basically no way for them to climb out of poverty. It’s super depressing, but it also makes me glad that I’ve studying health disparities. Hopefully I’ll be able to work on reducing these kinds of disparities someday in the future.
            I don’t want to leave you on a heavy note, so I’ll tell you about really cool mini-excursion we had today! One huge part of the Dominican culture (that I had no clue about until I got here) is the Dominican Carnival, which is celebrated in February. The Carnival dates all the way back to the time of Christopher Columbus. The celebration displays an upside-down world, where the devil rules, and everything is opposite. It’s a giant satire of the Devil. Each part of the country has it’s own unique form of the Devil. Here in Santiago, it’s a Lechon, which is a troll-like Devil. Every year for the carnival, people will dress up in these amazingly elaborate masks with giant horns, and these body suits that are covered in bells and whistles and beads. The decoration on the horn tells you what part of Santiago the Lechon is rom. Then the Lechones will march down the street, cracking their whips and dancing around. They also carry around these rattles made out of cow bladder than has been cleaned, sanitized, and dried, and they use it to hit people with, until they hit somebody so hard with it that the rattle breaks.
            Today we went to the workshop of one of the costume makers. He told us all about the history, showed us how they made the masks, and even let us help a little with making one. After that, we had a mini Carnival, and two of the workers dressed up, and cracked their whips, danced around, hit us with the rattles, and then had us dance with them. It was so much fun. They let us hold and try on the masks, and everything! I’m so used to going to a museum and not being allowed to touch anything, but at the workshop we were allowed to touch and wear and dance around with the masks! It was soooo much fun! If you want to watch the video I took from today's mini-Carnival, I posted a link below the picture! :)

 
I got to try on my favorite Carnival mask!

CLICK TO WATCH TODAY'S MINI CARNIVAL

No comments:

Post a Comment